Packed with a rich history, the Wanderers Stadium was built in 1956 and with a 28 000-seating capacity, it’s no wonder it was named the stadium of choice for the upcoming Betway SA20 semi-finals and final of the 2023 inaugural competition.
The explosive new T20 cricket league will first feature at Wanderers Stadium on Tuesday, 17 January when home team Joburg Super Kings face derby rivals Pretoria Capitals.
In line with the campaign vision of becoming the country’s number one sporting and entertainment brand and the best league in the world outside of India, Wanderers Stadium, in partnership with the Betway SA20 is going above and beyond the cricketing call of duty. From in-stadium activations, to DJ Chrizz Beatz, classic kids’ entertainment, top notch hospitality, innovative innings break activations, give-aways and so much more, there’s reason to see why this league is appealing to all from far and wide to attend and enjoy.
Ticket sales thus far have been extremely positive, says Lions Cricket CEO Jono Leaf-Wright.
“Our fans have responded incredibly well to our calls for support not only of home team Joburg Super Kings, but of the Betway SA20 league and the honour of Wanderers Stadium hosting five league games, the semi-finals and final.
“Our match day activations have been spread out, offering something for everyone – whether it’s stilt walkers, jugglers, a Virtual Reality booth, artists Costa Titch and Timo ODV amongst many other thrilling off the pitch activities. Then there’s the razmataz of the pyrotechnics that’ll light up the Joburg skyline for 4s, 6s and wickets galore – it really will be the very best we have to offer, every ball and just in case that’s not enough, there’s the Betway Catch a Million opportunity, where anyone’s life can change with a one-handed clean catch off a six that’s hit into the crowd.”
Grab your tickets now and come enjoy sporttainment at its absolute best. The competition runs from 10 January – 11 February 2023. For fixture and ticketing information please visit: https://www.sa20.co.za/fixtures/ and www.ticketpros.co.za.
Wanderers Stadium: Betway SA20 Fixtures
17 January: 17h30 JSK vs Pretoria Capitals
24 January: 17h30 JSK vs Durban Super Giants
3 February: 13h30 JSK vs Paarl Royals
5 February: 13h30 JSK vs Sunrisers Eastern Cape
6 February: 17h30 JSK vs MI Cape Town
8 February: 17h30 Semi Final
11 February: 16h30 Final
Summary of match day information: 17 January 2023, 17h30 – Joburg Super Kings vs Pretoria Capitals:
Venue: Wanderers Stadium
Gates open: 15h30
Pre-match entertainment from 16h00
Summary of additional matches:
• Matches on 17, 24 January and 6 February – Gates open 15h30 (2 hours prior to start of match)
• Matches on 3 and 5 February – Gates open 11h30 (2 hours prior to start of match)
• Semi-final on 8 February - Gates open 15h30 (2 hours prior to start of match)
• Final on 11 February - Gates open 14h30 (2 hours prior to start of match)
Parking for all matches
Wanderers Top Rugby Field; Wanderers Golf Course; Wanderers Club; Fairways Primary School at R100 per vehicle subject to availability.
14h30 – 22h00 on Corlett Drive
• Firearms, weapons, knives and imitation weapons
• Fireworks, explosives, flammable items
• Mace / gas containers
• Glass bottles or containers
• Hard cooler boxes
• Illegal drugs or narcotics
• Cans (soft drinks and alcohol)
• Braai equipment
• Animals (except guide dogs)
• Air horns / blow horns / vuvuzelas
• Tripods for cameras
• Video cameras or camcorders
• The Management reserves the right to refuse entry to any person carrying or wearing any other items or substances that may be deemed to be offensive, disruptive, dangerous, or likely to infringe any party's rights or any party’s safety or security or any dangerous article or substance not referred to above
People with disabilities
Wheelchair access gate 1
No cash and only card acceptance
Please note the Wanderers is a cashless stadium
For more information on the Betway SA20: @SA20_League and www.sa20.co.za. Please follow #SA20 on all social media platforms.
[Submitted by Kevin Rademeyer]