Monday, 9 January: Betway SA20 has confirmed exciting additions to its playing format for the inaugural season starting on 10 January. The six teams will play 33 matches in total, including three playoff matches that consist of two semi-finals and the final.
The additions have been included to improve the quality of the product while preserving the sanctity of the game.
In an innovative move to level the playing field, each captain can nominate 13 players to take the field before the toss. After the toss, each captain can select their final starting XI and the remainder of the players will automatically become substitute players.
Teams will be encouraged to put in dominant performances, with the winning team awarded four points and a bonus-point win generating five points. The bonus point will be awarded to a team who achieves a run rate of 1.25 times that of the opposition. In case of a no result, both teams will be awarded two points, while the losing team will not receive any points.
In addition, the following rules have been adjusted:
• The pace of play will be protected without suspensions with captains charged with in-game penalties for slow over-rates through fielding restrictions.
• There has been an amendment to the free-hit rule, a bowled dismissal can’t lead to byes if the ball ricochets off the stumps.
• Positive and attacking fielding will be encouraged. No runs can be taken off an intentional attempt to run out the batter if a direct hit deflects off the stumps.
• There will be two strategic time-outs of 2 minutes 30 seconds in duration in each innings. The time-outs are to allow the teams to re-group tactically.
Six Powerplay overs will be implemented where only two fielders will be allowed outside the 30-yard circle.
In the event of teams finishing on equal points, the right to progress through to the final and those to play in the play-off will be determined as follows:
• the team with the most number of wins;
• If still equal, the team with the highest number of bonus points;
• If still equal, the team with the highest net run rate;
• If still equal, the team with the most number of wins over the other team(s) who are equal on points and have the same number of wins;
• If still equal, the team with the highest runs to wickets ratio throughout the tournament;
• If still equal, the team with the highest wickets to runs ratio throughout the tournament.
In a match declared as a No Result, run rate is not applicable.
The first semi-final will include the team finishing top of the group stages against the team finishing fourth. The second semi-final will be between the teams finishing second and third respectively. The winners of the two semi-finals will contest the final.
SA20 is South Africa’s explosive new T20 cricket league. Dropping 10 January 2023, the League is set to thrill local and international cricket fans and attract new audiences of all ages.
4 weeks, 33 matches, 6 global franchises, 102 world class players (local and global) - SA20 is for cricket diehards, party people, families. For everyone!
SA20 has the backing of some of the most recognised T20 franchises in the world, with several IPL strongholds branching out to establish an even greater international footprint. The franchises are owned by six dynamic entities which have made a minimum 10-year investment which will sustain South African cricket, the players and future cricketers coming through the development pipeline.
The League features six privately-owned teams, who will play each other twice in a round-robin stage (home and away) before the semis and final. In all, 33 matches will be played in some of the greatest locations South Africa has to offer: Durban’s Super Giants (Kingsmead), Joburg Super Kings (Wanderers), MI Cape Town (Newlands), Paarl Royals (Boland Park), Pretoria Capitals (SuperSport Park) and Sunrisers Eastern Cape (St George’s Park).
The six teams finalised their 17-member squads during the R125 million player auction. Each team is allowed to field up to four international players in a match, giving plenty of opportunities for homegrown Proteas stars and young local talent to shine while playing alongside the best in the world.
SA20 is destined to become the best League in the world outside of India, and to be South Africa’s No 1 Sport and Entertainment brand. Fans can expect thrilling cricket underpinned by an immersive, inclusive, and unmissable social experience.
Join the party: @SA20_League and www.sa20.co.za
For more information, please follow #SA20 on all social media platforms.
[Submitted by Kevin Rademeyer]